Earrings are a great accessory to any outfit. They can be simple studs or they could be something more elaborate with stones and sparkles. There’s a variety of different earrings in Sri Lanka in the market, but there are also many different types of earring backs that you need to know about when shopping for your favourite pair.
Types of earrings
When searching for jewellery online in Sri Lanka, earrings are a very versatile piece and there are many different types of earrings, including stud earrings, hoop earrings, dangling earrings and chandelier-style drop earrings.
- Studs: There are many different types of studs including screw-back posts for people who have sensitive ears or want the security that comes with a tight-fitting post in their lobe.
- Hoop earrings: Hoop styles can be tricky because they come in varying widths depending on how large you prefer your hoops to be. Large diameter hoops will make your face appear smaller while smaller ones will enlarge your features making them great when paired correctly with an outfit.
- Dangling earrings: Dangling style jewellery is lightweight which means it is often worn during warmer months by women looking to add something eye-catching without adding too much weight or warmth around their necks.
- Chandelier earrings: Chandelier type earrings are those that have a large drop in the bottom that can be made of different materials and makes for an interesting statement piece.
Earring backs are designed to keep your earrings in place while also making sure they’re not too tight on your lobes which could cause discomfort and harm them over time. These come in various shapes including fishhook, clip-on or ball-back studs.
- Fishhook earring backs: These are those that hook on the top of your ear and go around to a U-shape at the back.
- Clip-on: These backs are those that have a metal piece attached to an opening in one side which you attach onto your lobe.
- Ball studs or roller back earring backs: These are also great for keeping your ears from being tugged by heavier pieces as they’re known to be more secure than other types.
- Hook & Eye Earring Backs: These reusable plastic closures come in different shapes such as hearts or circles, but can sometimes cause discomfort if not used properly so should only be worn with smaller lightweight earrings.
- Earring Jackets: One way of hiding piercings is through these clear covers over them designed to protect sensitive lobes and are made with plastic or rubber. These are useful for those who want to take their piercings out during certain periods of time which is also the downside, as they need to be removed and replaced regularly.
- Earring Stickers: One way of covering up your earrings if you’re not willing to remove them yet, are stickers that can help hide any holes temporarily. They come in different colours such as white, pink or yellow so they blend in with your skin tone when applied properly.
- Butterfly clips: These are those that look like a butterfly and it’s easy to confuse them with fish hook earrings. They may look similar but they are different in the way that clips do not have a loop at the bottom for threading purposes, which is why you need to place your fingers on each wing of this clip so as to open it up before placing it onto your ears.
The most common types of earring backs and how they work
The most common types of earrings back used by women include the ball backs, the fish hook earrings and the clip-on.
The simplest of all backs is the post style which has a single piece that goes through your pierced ear hole from front to back. It is then held in place by either an internally threaded nut attached at the end or with a plastic disc-shaped like a doughnut on top of it. The former method allows for finer adjustments but can be harder to remove whereas using a push-fit disc instead makes taking them out much easier as you just have to press down over this flat surface until it comes free.
How to wear a hoop earring with different types of backings
Hoop earrings may come with different types of backings. The hoop earrings that come with a push-fit plastic disc backing are the easiest to put on and take off as you just have to apply some pressure until it comes free from your pierced hole. If they’re attached via an internally threaded nut then unscrewing them can be slightly harder but this is still manageable if done carefully so don’t let these worries stop you from buying hoops because of this added inconvenience.
Hoop earrings may also be worn using a stud back, which has no post going through your piercing at all instead of having two small discs on either side of the front metal ball fitting where the thread would usually go through in a pair of screw backs. These will look less obvious than if wearing simply hanging hoops.
Earrings are one of the most popular and iconic accessories for women. They can be dressed up or down, and they come in a variety of styles to suit every woman’s personality. Especially if you find yourself shopping with little time to spare at the end of your day, keep earrings on hand as an easy way to spruce up any outfit. The right pair will make all the difference.