in

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

To prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, low levels of carbon monoxide should be vented to the outside of the home. All the appliances and home systems should be working correctly and remember each time you add/change an appliance or adjust air flow, there is the possibility you’re trapping CO in your home.

Carbon monoxide is a type of gas that is hazardous and because you can’t see the problem literally then it might take several weeks/months for you to discover the problem. You might have a slow gas leak in your stove or fireplace, or maybe the furnace heat exchanger is cracked – but you aren’t likely to recognize a CO problem right away. Any of these problems can allow the buildup of carbon monoxide contaminated air to remain in your home. In fact, some exhaust fans (range hood, clothes dryer or bathroom fan) might pull carbon monoxide back into your house.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends carbon monoxide detector(s) to be installed in your home to alert you to problems quickly. The first CO detector should be installed near the bedrooms with additional detectors on every level of your home for extra protection and precaution. Choose a detector approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) that has an alarm that can wake you up when sleeping.

There are 3 types of carbon monoxide detectors, similar to smoke detector products:

Even if there is a power outage, battery powered detectors continue working.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be wired to your home’s electrical system by plugging into a standard electrical outlet, or hardwired AC models.

Get double protection with a hardwired AC models that has battery back-up.

Any appliances or home systems that you have that have burn fossil fuels can give off carbon monoxide.

When Your Carbon Monoxide Detector Sounds Off

Don’t forget that smoke detector and CO detector are different. Newer carbon monoxide detectors have “carbon monoxide detector” written in a different color on the cover. A warning alarm is installed in some detectors to let you know carbon monoxide is starting to accumulate. You might want a contractor to inspect your home to determine what is causing the problem.

If a carbon monoxide detector sounds a full alarm, check everyone in the house for symptoms of poisoning. Get the affected ones outside immediately and remember babies and children are affected more quickly. Call the fire department as they’re able to respond faster than anyone else. If everybody’s feeling fine don’t stop there, open windows and doors to ventilate the house and get an inspection done as soon as possible by a trained home professional who can identify the cause for the alarm sounding off.

Source link

What do you think?

Reasons as to Why You Should Shift to Somfy Motorized Blinds

Professionals That Never Lose Any Fight Against Acne